imperial-guardsman asked:

Your miniatures look fantastic! When you're painting the heads and other small parts I see you have them on a paper clip or something of that nature, do you just pin it on there or do you use like a putty to hold it? I'm trying to improve my skills.

Hi, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

I don’t normally do this, normally I build the model completely and then paint it from there. This model I’m doing for a painting comp and the last time I did, I got some poor feedback on the head of the model, so wanted to keep it separate to give myself the best access possible to it before I glue it. I’m also painting the back part (cloak and pack) and front part separately and for this model I can’t glue on the right shoulder pad until those parts are glued together!

To avoid over handling the parts, I pinned the head and just glued the pad onto the end of a paper clip. Have to say I think I’ll be doing more of this in future as it makes painting the parts so much easier!

Co13.

Progress update on my Deathwatch Captain. Cookies to whoever can name his parent chapter…

Progress update on my Deathwatch Captain. Cookies to whoever can name his parent chapter…

So, in a moment of indecision and painters block I decided to try something different for the painting comp this Saturday. Given the time left I may go back to the wood elf, but here is a WIP Deathwatch captain…

So, in a moment of indecision and painters block I decided to try something different for the painting comp this Saturday. Given the time left I may go back to the wood elf, but here is a WIP Deathwatch captain…

Having one of those days where my brain and hands aren’t connected. Making a total mess of my paintwork! #geekfail

Not 100 percent happy with the direction the staff is going in. Layered up a lot of the cloth and added some soft edge highlighting.

Not 100 percent happy with the direction the staff is going in. Layered up a lot of the cloth and added some soft edge highlighting.

Ok, finally back on track! Staff remounted and gaps gs’d, mushrooms washed and more layering on robes, first later of gold on the headdress. Progress!

Ok, finally back on track! Staff remounted and gaps gs’d, mushrooms washed and more layering on robes, first later of gold on the headdress. Progress!

Finally got the arm pinned and GS’d the join. Also added a couple of cheeky mushrooms to the base for a bit of visual interest. Hopefully from now on, I can just focus on bringing up the layers, highlights and adding some freehand detail to the cloth. 12 days until the painting comp!

Finally got the arm pinned and GS’d the join. Also added a couple of cheeky mushrooms to the base for a bit of visual interest. Hopefully from now on, I can just focus on bringing up the layers, highlights and adding some freehand detail to the cloth. 12 days until the painting comp!

oatmealartistry:

commanderfunky and solaire-of-thedas

Okay so I tried really hard this time to get nicer quality shots. Camera still flubbed on me. Ugh. 

image

image

So the main problem here is that your lighting is too harsh, it’s casting really deep shadows and is coming directly from the front. I’d suggest diffusing the light somehow. Easiest way would be to pull a white pillowcase or something over it. If the lighting is from your on-camera flash, then a piece of toilet roll will do the same. Basically it breaks up the light so it’s ‘softer’ and will not give such a harsh shadow. Whenever you see a professional photographer with a bit of white, partially transparent plastic on their flash, same deal.

Spellsinger WIP. Bloody arm came off, so I need to pin the joint. Started to lighten the flesh and mushrooms planted on the side of the base for painting purposes. Slow progress!

Spellsinger WIP. Bloody arm came off, so I need to pin the joint. Started to lighten the flesh and mushrooms planted on the side of the base for painting purposes. Slow progress!

First washes and some basic layering applied. Also started to stipple excess paint onto the base, which is giving it a nice leaf litter look! Might make some GS mushrooms to add a bit more visual interest.

First washes and some basic layering applied. Also started to stipple excess paint onto the base, which is giving it a nice leaf litter look! Might make some GS mushrooms to add a bit more visual interest.

Nearly getting into the fun part, shades, highlights and freehand all around the corner! Any suggestions on what I could do for the base?

Nearly getting into the fun part, shades, highlights and freehand all around the corner! Any suggestions on what I could do for the base?

Small tweak but I think taking the green out has really helped to make the colours more uniform. I’ll be using it as a spot colour on the smaller leaves to help provide contrast points across the model and to break up that sea of red! Next steps are some freehand and I’m also contemplating some colour blending on the cloth with glazes. Then some shading and highlights, long (LONG) way to go before the 25th!

Small tweak but I think taking the green out has really helped to make the colours more uniform. I’ll be using it as a spot colour on the smaller leaves to help provide contrast points across the model and to break up that sea of red! Next steps are some freehand and I’m also contemplating some colour blending on the cloth with glazes. Then some shading and highlights, long (LONG) way to go before the 25th!